Skip to main content

July 7th

Today's task was a scavenger hunt. It sounds simple, but it offered us another chance to explore and experience the city. The tasks such as taking a picture in front of a windmill, eating a Danish pastry, and finding an embassy which represents you took us all over the city.


After today I feel like a have a pretty strong handle on biking around this city. I'm starting to feel normal doing things such as a Copenhagen left turn, passing people, and merging with large groups of bike traffic. I've realized biking is 100% the best way to gain an understanding of the transportation culture of this city while experiencing everything it has to offer. The more I travel around on bike here in Copenhagen, I realize they seem to have added specific infrastructure to make biking the easiest and fastest way to commute.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 5th

I arrived in Copenhagen last night after a grueling 10-hour layover in Iceland due to layovers. On my way to the hostel, I got lost multiple times. If it weren't the open friendliness of the people who live here I might not have ever found my hostel in the first place. Someone actually went out of their way to ask if I was lost and give me directions. Due to jet lag and people who snore louder than Snorlax himself, I could barely get any sleep. So I decided at 6:00 AM to get up and get lost... this was the best decision I could have made! During my exploration, I started noticing things about the city that make it seem so ideal. There's a park every few blocks, barely any litter, beautiful street art, everyone bikes, and everyone to respect one another as well as there surroundings. Later on in the day once our group had settled in and rented bikes, we made it a goal to get lost again. This was a completely different experience on bikes. Not only can you see much more...

July 15th

Yesterday (July 15th) was another travel day by bike. this time we packed up our things from the Danhostel in Helsingor, Denmark and set our sights across the channel to Sweden. After a Sunday full of rest and sitting by the water I was fully rested and energized for this 20-mile journey to the Swedish Island of Ven. The first leg of the trip was crossing the channel on a ferry. Not only is it awesome that there is an option of being able to transport yourself across a massive body of water along with something other than a car, they even make it super convenient. As bikers, we were the first ones on the ferry and the first ones off to the city of Helsingborg.  This continues to show the way these countries respect bikers. With treatment like this, it's hard to think of using any other mode of transportation. Once in Helsingborg, the group was able to get a feel and walk around the city for about an hour and a half. I took the time to catch up with some family members and e...

July 24th

Our first full day in Amsterdam started with a meeting and tour from mobility expert Marjolein de Lange. Marjolein works for Fietsersbond the biking union in the Netherlands. They work towards improving and expanding bike-friendly infrastructure through working with all forms of government as well as the public. The work Marjolein and Fietsersbond does can't be described as anything less than badass. During the presentation, we learned that much like all of the other cities we've visited Amsterdam wasn't always a biking city, and it took a ton of work to get to where it is today in terms of sustainable transportation options. In fact, through the 1960's they lost a lot of bicycle infrastructure and put in heaps of infrastructure for cars and their drivers. Heres a photo representing the changes Amsterdam went through during that time. As you can see tons of major and minor driving roads were put in and around the city while tons of biking lanes and roads were...